TABS

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

POSTCARD from KIGALI

Kimironko Market, Courtesy Graham Holliday, Kigaliwire

The highlight of Teatime at Hotel Gorilla is the Garden. M. Makhene
I'm working through what it is I think of and see when experiencing Kigali. My thought cloud is cotton-stuffed with competing bird chirps--the most impressive urban birdlife I've ever known, and the easy haziness of Rwanda's capital city takes you not by storm, but like a very self-sure, steady ebb. There is no rush here, no cacophonous activity. There is also not stillness. I am awakened Sunday morning by the thump of early morning joggers pounding pavement. There is a sun that is hazy behind rising hills every morning, and there is a city that does not feel like anywhere else I can imagine. I'm still deciding, what is Kigali?

1 comment: